Aging and living differently

I always knew how I wanted to live and what sort of environment I would want to be in: a calm place very close to nature or in nature itself, away from people or in a very small community. As I get older, I find myself less tolerant, and our current home has become increasingly popular with tourists. Our population quadruples in June, July, August, and September in Mandelieu, making it increasingly unlivable. The traffic is so dense in this small place that it creates noise, which is upsetting, and people are often angry and complaining in the shops. Additionally, we are overtaxed by nearly 20% here on the Côte d'Azur for all insurances, including car, motorbike, home, life, and health.

We live in a small city between two massifs: the Tanneron and the Esterel. One is 12 minutes away, and the other is a 6-minute walk. Despite this, as I age, I don't just want to escape for my 1- to 10-hour runs and cycling adventures; I want to stay away.

I want to be in a calm place. I have always liked villages, solo mountain huts, and nomadic off-the-grid living. As I accumulate knowledge and wisdom through learning and experiences, I am keen to make more serious decisions. This is why we sold our apartment and are moving to the Pyrenees. This will still be a compromise but a good one. We are going to Ariège, the entry to the Pyrenees. We will be close to multiple small cities and two hours away from Toulouse, a large metropolis. In the Pays d'Olmes, in our little village, there is very little traffic, maybe five cars and three John Deeres passing by each day. There is no pub or restaurant. The hiking trails are beautiful but rarely maintained and poorly marked. It is a wild environment, with abundant wildlife like deer, otters, badgers, wolves, bears, and wild boars. There are many insects, medicinal and edible mushrooms, and herbs. The water is of excellent quality, and locals often fish for trout. The water is difficult to access in nice spots, so it will never become a tourist destination. This is good. The only agricultural practice around us is growing wild, uncontrolled hay, which is great for the soil and fauna. No crops, no planting, no spraying, no big farming.

Since we are no longer homeowners, we rented a small house for the three of us. It is a pleasure to live in a house that feels alive. Insects come and go, and the air is fresh. It is cool on the first level and moderate on the third. In summer, you can sleep downstairs at 22-24°C, and in winter, you can do the same upstairs. The weather changes constantly, with a washout every three days. In the mountains, you can experience mystical foggy patches, sun rays, rain, hail, and snow. There are four distinct seasons, with snow and cold in winter.

This is where we are now. I like being in a normal place. Especially now, as I finalize our apartment sale in Mandelieu, I see the stark contrast. It feels like an asylum here. I prefer washing my clothes by hand down by the river, listening to the birds, and chasing away wasps and flies.

Training has improved in the last two weeks. You can go out and enjoy yourself without worrying about traffic, noise, smog, or dodging people. I guess I am kind of antisocial. In the past two weeks, I did not run every day, but I had many purposeful outings, about five times each week. It felt natural and normal to run at more efficient paces. I also hiked a lot with my family. Every day, we walked by the river and went up to the local ski station, which is 20 minutes away by car. It is epic.

Here, people don't care about advancing with certain technologies. There are no online reservations for the doctor or dentist. You won't find a fast runner on Strava Flyby because people don't use it. I grew up with technology; it is in my veins. I had my first PC at four years old in 1986, so I like and can use a computer. However, I have to rely more on human connections here, and I absolutely adore this.

Running science doesn't seem to be a focus here. Runners run, and cyclists cycle. Cross-training? It is a myth. We will see how coaching could be practiced here and what people would pay and expect from a coach. I don't think it is going to work out. People like to do their own thing and follow their hearts. That is good, and I don't want to change it. I appreciate this simple, soulful nature. People are very happy here, and no fuss seeps in from anywhere. Time has stopped and won't move fast. The villages are well built, and no one will come in to build something new unless they demolish something existing.

The race schedule here is much less packed. In Mandelieu, I could participate in 52 trail races, mostly under an hour away, every single weekend. Including road races, urban trails, cross, and track racing, the calendar would exceed 100 events. That is enormous. In the Ariège, I think the yearly trail calendar has about 10 races. However, there are now three big events: UltraAriege, PicaPica, and Trail de Citadelle. These are three very different events. UltraAriege is a trail running event, PicaPica is a brutal mountain race where hikers and climbers can excel alongside trail runners, and Citadelle is a fast-paced, non-technical trail race on overgrown bushy trails. There are also a few shorter, faster trail events.

I will be racing a 34km race in Saurat in November with 2400m of elevation gain to start the winter racing season. That is going to hurt the legs. Let's go.
 
DOROGI Levente

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastery of Ultra Endurance

Post Ultra Trail Recovery - how long ?

Mental Ultra Endurance - it hurts